SDG&E passes 20 percent renewables

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 @ 09:03 AM
posted by rene5432

California utility company San Diego Gas & Electric announced at the beginning of the month that it is now providing more than one-fifth of its power from renewable electricity sources.

SDG&E told the California Public Utility Commission that the proportion of its electricity coming from clean energy nearly doubled to 20.8 percent in 2011. The year before, the utility had provided only around 12 percent renewable electricity.

Of this 9 percent rise, the majority came from wind power, accounting for 60 percent of the increase. The remaining 40 percent came from contracts with solar power installations and geothermal, biomass or biogas plants.

"We have an obligation to meet California’s renewable requirements, and, at the same time, need to put in place infrastructure that maintains power reliability and quality when the wind doesn’t blow or the sun doesn’t shine," James P. Avery, SDG&E senior vice president of power supply, said in a statement. "It is an interesting balance that brings into play our new renewables resources, clean natural gas fueled power generation and the flexibility and immediate response built into smart grid technology."

California has one of the country's most ambitious renewable portfolio standards, requiring all utilities to generate 20 percent renewable electricity by the end of next year and 33 percent by 2020.

Comments are closed.